Home
School & studies
Places

Places


The School

Since 1924, l’École Normale de Musique de Paris has been situated in a private mansion (Allard du Cholet), in the heart of Monceau, in the 17th arrondissement of Paris.

The building, inspired by the Renaissance and the 18th century, was constructed in 1881 by Léopold Cochet for the count of Rozars.

Some elements of the mansion, such as the Salle Munch and the Escalier d’honneur, are classified as a French Historical Landmark.

Concert Hall : The Salle Cortot

In 1929, concerned with giving his students a place for artistic expression and performance Alfred Cortot commissioned a concert hall by Auguste Perret, the architect known for conceiving the Théâtre des Champs Elysées.

The Salle Cortot plays an integral role in the l’École Normale de Musique de Paris and can hold 400 attendees.

The Salle Cortot, mostly wooded, has an exceptional acoustic character that is similar to that of a violin.

Classified as a Historic Monument, this Art Deco masterpiece has welcomed some of the greatest musicians of our time. It also traditionally hosts the end of the year competitions, student concerts and public master classes.

The concert hall is also rented for evening concerts and private events. See the website of the Salle Cortot

  • The central staircase, registered as Historical Landmark © Roland Dreyfus

    The central staircase, registered as Historical Landmark © Roland Dreyfus

  • An outstanding setting © Philippe Muraro

    An outstanding setting © Philippe Muraro

  • La salle Pierre-Petit© Philippe Muraro

    La salle Pierre-Petit© Philippe Muraro

  • Roussel Room © Philippe Muraro

    Roussel Room © Philippe Muraro

  • © Noelle Hoeppe

    © Noelle Hoeppe

  • Facade of the private mansion (hôtel particulier) housing the Ecole

    Facade of the private mansion (hôtel particulier) housing the Ecole

  • Facade of the private mansion (hôtel particulier) housing the Ecole

    Facade of the private mansion (hôtel particulier) housing the Ecole

« Back to previous page